QUALIFICATIONS FOR A BREAST REVISION SPECIALIST
To be a specialist in breast revision surgery, the doctor first of all needs to be Board Certified with the American Board of Plastic Surgery. That means:
1. Needs to be a Diplomate of the American Board of Plastic Surgery, having trained as a plastic and reconstructive surgeon; passed written and oral exams to be a Diplomate of the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
2. The plastic surgeon should specialize in breast augmentation breast revision surgery and perform these operations every week. The majority of that doctor’s practice should be specifically categorized in reconstruction and breast revision surgery of augmentations.
3. The doctor should have a Board Certified Anesthesiologist.
4. Should have a certified surgery center, inclusive of Medicare and/or State Licensed.
5. Should have hundreds of pictures of before/after breast revisions should be available for the patient’s review, including all the different deformities that can occur, such as bottoming out, capsular contracture, malposition, ruptured implants, etc. Patients should see before/after examples of each of these categories specifically focused on her specific abnormality or pathology.
6. Patient and doctor should have realistic expectations as to what is possible and what is not possible. Please realize that once tissue has been manipulated multiple times, it may be impossible to create an absolute normal appearance to the breasts, and that the doctor can only do the best with what tissue remains. For example, if the patient has had multiple breast lifts, the areolar may not be able to be cut around again because the blood supply problems could lead to devascularization of the nipple and death of the nipple areolar complex. Therefore, make sure that you and your doctor have realistic expectations as to final results.